a.k.a. Tobias Schutt and Toby Shooters
I studied visual computing, applied math, media art, and philosophy at Stanford. In the past, I worked on computer graphics research (Vid2Player) and interned at Flexport, Nubank, and Pagar.me. Here's a longer bio...
I'm from Brazil, Argentina, or Ohio. I've been living in Brooklyn ever since my '98 Outback (Charly) exhaled his last breath, mufferless. I work in graphics/vision to bring our digital experience closer to the embodied material world. I'm inspired by artists such as Myron Krueger and James Turrell. I want to learn about Gestalt theory, differential geometry, and fabrication but spend my time watching skateboard parts. I enjoy listening to Spinetta and Caetano, and reading about Portnoy and Funes. I love morning commutes in crowded subways. A good party for me consists of yellow plastic Skol tables, buckets of Original, and endless banter. I often dream of a loft with modular furniture and an industrial kitchen, maybe in the Copan. I have a Mario Benedetti verse memorized for a moment that might never come. My diary consists of reminders that the only rule is work along with to do lists which I unsucessfully tackle in parallel. I wish to have the world ready-to-hand. Keep cool but care.
These are some op-eds, ramblings, and notes.
- (02/21) Why nerds win in tech
- (01/21) May we live particular lives!
- (10/20) Notes: In the Blink of an Eye
- (08/20) Reminders for How to Live
- (01/20) Heidegger and Driving (Stanford Daily)
- (09/19) Resp: Finding Meaning at Stanford
- (09/18) On Choosing Classes (Stanford Daily)
Click here to expand the library of books I've read in the past couple of years.
- Vid2Player: Turn broadcast tennis matches into controllable 2D video sprites that appear and play like star tennis players. (Publication accepted to ACM Transactions on Graphics) [Paper & Video]
- Toys: Ray marchers, lisp interpreters, 808 sequencer in React, hacking legacy iPhone for AR occlusion, generative shaders, neural textures, etc... [Github]
- TensorCheck: Run-time validation of tensors for machine-learning systems. [Github]
- Foolish: A short film about an interactive installation, put on hold due to COVID-19. This project was my Honors in the Arts thesis. [Video]
- End-less: Kinetic sculpture. Found objects, CNC machining, electronics and gears, woodworking, 3D printing, and plaster casting. [Images]
- Adjustabase: Adjustable baseplate for downhill skateboarding. Machined manually from 6061 aluminum with sand-blasted finish. [Poster]